Tuesday, October 23, 2012

Marking a path

Lisette souvenir in progress, originally uploaded by firesheep67.
I went to my first sewing class at Stonemountain and Daughter in Berkeley this weekend. The instructor immediately figured out why my muslin didn't fit through the shoulders; I needed to remove about 1.5 inches from the center top of the front yoke (which would not have occured to me). On to cutting the "fashion fabric," a blue-grey cotton voile from Freespirit, purchased at AVFKW. I pinned what I could in class, took it all home, finished the pinning and then cut everything on Sunday. I have yet to transfer the markings, as I am not sure which method to go with. To test the white Chacopy, I made a few marks on a piece of scrap fabric which I then washed by hand with Fels Naptha soap. I can still see one of the marks - although, it's quite faint and it was the heaviest mark I made. I need to do more tests before I commit. Will try the water soluble marker (but it's blue, so I don't expect it to be easy to see) and the other Chacopy (pink) as well as the Dritz white tailor's chalk. In the end, I only need to make marks for where the yoke joins the sleeves (circles) and where to gather the front. Perhaps I'll just thread trace my way. In the meantime, I am not to sew the garment until the next class. Strange how being "forbidden" to work on it makes me feel impatient to sew!

More on this garment in an upcoming post.

No comments: