Tuesday, October 23, 2012
More on this garment in an upcoming post.
Thursday, October 11, 2012
|Imagine this in red leather...(image from HP site)|
Yesterday, I (for the second time) stumbled across the Selfish Seamstress's blog and was admiring her leggings/pants here. Then I wondered about stretch leather. Poked around on the internet. Circled back to Gorgeous Fabrics where I came across this lambskin. Suggested pattern was Hot Patterns 1118, Metropolitan Agostini Moto Jacket. As I'm not a fan of "natural" colors and the quantity of skins in stock would have made a size that is too small for me, I didn't remotely entertain buying these skins. BUT the pattern really struck a chord. I kept thinking of it. Later in the evening, I deliberately went back to the Selfish Seamstress, intending to catch up on past posts. Was reminded of Fabric Mart Fabrics and went there to look for leather. At first I found some black lambskin and I thought of buying it to make the jacket. Then it occurred to me that I don't really need to replace my black leather jacket (but it could use a re-dye). When I looked at the black leather skins, I saw that they came in red too. A deep, bluish red. My favorite kind. There were only three in stock. I popped them in the cart (along with two other cuts of fabric), fought with myself about how ridiculous it is to buy leather for a project that I'm not yet capable of sewing, then I viewed current leather jackets for sale online, closed the computer and immediately went to bed.
Today, on my way in to work, the universe was tempting me with that same red along with jackets in that style. I logged back into Fabric Mart Fabrics, rebuilt my shopping cart, looked for discount coupons, found one and checked out. That's it.
I now have a wardrobe of unsewn and unknit projects. Pants, shirts, sweaters, socks, coats, and even potential underwear. The only supplies I lack are to make bras (which I hope to tackle using makebra.com).
I've wondered over the years where my ambition went - it's there and wants to make a comeback in the form of creating my own wardrobe, on my terms. Even if only to experience the pleasure of wearing garments that fit, the way I want them to, in fabrics of my choosing - it's a healthy way to welcome home my wayward ambition. I can learn to sew leather!! (But will first go through MANY muslins...as I am a cautious type!)
Monday, October 8, 2012
, originally uploaded by firesheep67.
I FINALLY started sewing! It only took me approximately FOUR years. This weekend I traced off the Lisette blouse pattern onto Swedish tracing paper, then pinned out my traced pattern pieces to the muslin, cut, and then tried to transfer the markings. First I wanted to use the Dritz paper (must look up the name), but after owning it for approximately four years, it doesn't seem to work (or I was using it wrong). So I moved on to the Clover Chacopy, which worked fine, but may not be appropriate for the final version of the blouse.
In the end, I got a muslin, albeit with not enough sleeve cap. I was able to figure out what I did wrong by studying some close-ups online. Essentially, I sewed the bias tape too far from the sleeve cap, then I trimmed 3/8" off the seam allowance, and then I proceeded to wrap the edge of the sleeve with the bias tape. WRONG WRONG WRONG!!!
What I should have done was...(at step 10 I believe):
1. stitch the sleeve cap to the bias tape (right side to right side, using a 3/8" seam allowance
2. press the seam as written
3. trim the seam as written
4. stitch along the BIAS tape side edge (just like the inside edge of the yoke), through the seam
5. then stitch 1/2" in, along the sleeve cap, through the folded over bias tape, so that the bias tape is stabilizing the sleeve cap - NOT seen from the outside of the sleeve
Since I didn't do this, I ended up cutting away the two circles, that are to be matched up when joining the sleeves to the yokes, and I was short approximately 3/8" of an inch where the sleeves meet the yoke - which you can clearly see in the photo.
Next step is to cut two new sleeves, stitch them up and then check the sleeve cap fit. I get the impression that the sleeve cap is a bit too puffy for me and I most likely need to alter it. I also left this muslin unhemmed. Think I want to curve the hem, as I don't like the boxy look. Finally, I may alter the sleeve cuffs and put a small slit in them.