Friday, January 2, 2009

Rediscovering old hardware...oh the joy!

The fan on my newer Fujitsu, a T4215, purchased March 2007 has a problem - it runs nonstop and sounds like the computer is about to take flight. Of course, it's out of warranty and I don't want to keep running it, potentially causing the harddrive to melt down, so I've backed up my files and am getting ready to open it up to clean it out (in case there's an easily solved issue). If the diy route doesn't pan out, I'll have to take it in to an authorized Fujitsu repair center. Now is not the time to spend money on keeping my faster laptop going...so..I've pulled out...

...my older Fujitsu, my first Fujitsu, a P2040. Its harddrive is tiny (just under 20G) and its processor is equally underpowered - a Transmeta Crusoe TM5800, running at 793 MHz with a grand total of 240 MB of RAM. Quite a step down... Only issue with this cute little machine are the two lines of green and blue pixels on the left of the screen, but other than that, it chugs along like a champ. Believe it was purchased in March 2002.

No comments: